jeudi 26 juin 2008

You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you might find you get House MD season finale 4 !

First, Rolling Stones lyrics :

I saw her today at a reception
A glass of wine in her hand
I knew she would meet her connection
At her feet was her footloose man

No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

[...]

I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill
We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red
I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead"
I said to him

[...]

I saw her today at the reception
In her glass was a bleeding man
She was practiced at the art of deception
Well I could tell by her blood-stained hands

You can't always get what you want
And if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

*****

What is the link with House MD season finale 4 ?

WARNING SPOILERS. WARNING SPOILERS.

Well... "You can't always get what you want", Amber said at the end.
And that's a new enlightment for the episode.

"I saw her today at a reception
A glass of wine in her hand
I knew she would meet her connection
At her feet was her footloose man"

House meets Amber while he stands in a bar, with a glass in his hand, and she soon drinks one. They actually feel connected by their personalities, as said for a few episodes ("Oh my god, you're dating me" House tells to Wilson), and it seems they had feelings for each other (even if these were weaker than their feelings for Wilson (love/friendship)). And House walks with a cane, he's lost a leg, he's a "footloose man".


"I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
To get your prescription filled"

They tranported Amber to an other hospital (well it doesn't make full sense but whatever).


"I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And man, did he look pretty ill
We decided that we would have a soda
My favorite flavor, cherry red"

James Wilson, Jimmy, did look pretty ill, especially when he worried about his girl. House decides to "have a drink" with him (and verify the diagnosis) at Sharrie's bar. "Why would she drink sherry if it wasn't relevant ?", House asked after having hallucinating about Amber. So, why would they deal with cherry if it wasn't for the song in the episode ?


"I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
Yeah, and he said one word to me, and that was "dead""

Later, House gives his final diagnosis, his "song" : there's only one answer, "and that was "dead"". "Am I dead ?" Amber says in the end, in few words... Wilson answers "I love you", but they know what he means. And that was "dead".


"I saw her today at the reception
In her glass was a bleeding man
She was practiced at the art of deception
Well I could tell by her blood-stained hands"

The "bleeding man" could be anxious Wilson, or even House, literally bleeding from his ear (and this wound seems useless in the story) when he has a bath to find his memories.
The viewer wonders if Amber cheated on Wilson that night, because she's "practiced at the art of deception" : she's still a cut-throat bitch.
"Blood-stained hands" could refer to her personality (she could have metaphorically blood on her hands because of the things she did to get the job), but seems more likely refer to the bus crash : House has literally "blood stained hands" (but it can be metaphorical too), but Amber can have too, since she's wounded (even if the rest of the wounded seem to still have perfect dentition after the accident).

And finally,
"You can't always get what you want.
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need"

The episode shows in a cruel way that "you can't always get what you want". House can't live in a pain-free world, in his coma, forever. But he needs to live, and wakes up as soon as he tries.

Hum... This chorus can be applied to many situations (and this is what makes its strenght). But series writers seem to like it particularly (it appears many times in Californication, and in House MD season 1). With the strike or not, I wonder if the scenarists get inspiration from that song to write this episode. It deals with medical issues ("prescription", "drugstore", "blood-stained hands"), and Gregory House is rock'n'roll.

Maybe Amber's last words in the serie are only pop-wisedom, and not the meaning, the plan, of the season finale, and the interpretation is just a coincidence. Obviously, it's nothing but a personal interpretation, but if it's just a coincidence, it's an interesting one.

=)

1 commentaire:

Geraldine a dit…

Tu sais ce que j'en pense... =)